Cancer Registry Coordinator
UNC REX Cancer Care combines community-based care with world-class innovation to provide treatment uniquely tailored to our patient’s needs. As North Carolina’s first nationally recognized Comprehensive Community Cancer Center, we provide expert care, close to home, in several convenient locations across the Triangle. We are accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program and by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) as a Comprehensive Breast Center. We work in partnership with physicians from UNC Cancer Care to provide access to clinical trials and highly specialized treatment. Multidisciplinary care is at the heart of our program.
Rex Hospital celebrated 125 years dedicated to advances in medicine and surgery, and embracing new medical technologies. We continue to evolve with plans to open a new Cancer Center to meet the increasing need for oncology treatment and services for patients from across Eastern North Carolina. Our Mission to inspire hope, improve health and heal communities. Our Vision to lead the transformation of health care, one person at a time. Our Values are patients and families first, champion teamwork, build communicates and drive change.
UNC REX is recruiting for the Coordinator of the Cancer Registry
- The Cancer Registry Coordinator provides the day-to-day support for the Cancer Registry staff including data collection, coding and data entry; analyzing, editing cancer patient data; orientation and training.
- The Cancer Registry Coordinator assists with abstracting, case finding and follow up to ensure meeting department goals and objectives.
- The Cancer Registry Coordinator supports quality control activities, information requests and quality studies; treatments and outcome information for quality improvement activities, administrative planning, marketing and outreach programs as requested.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Extensive Cancer Registry experience in a CoC accredited facility
- Team player. Leads by example participating with team to achieve targeted results.
- Builds and maintains relationships that are anchored in trust and shared decision making. Leads self and others to grow.
- Leads continuous improvement by using innovations and creative problem solving.
- Leads self and others to take ownership for goals and outcomes; effectively and efficiently uses available resources.
- Experience working with remote-site teams. Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to supporting the Cancer Registry Manager in monitoring the daily workflow and work assignments of the team to ensure compliance with key performance indicators. Ensures completeness, accuracy and timeliness of case findings, abstractions and follow up activities.
- Responsible for working closely with the Manager to ensure that the team’s work aligns with the department goals. Assists Manager to perform and/or coordinate quality audits on registry data to ensure compliance with ACoS CoC and NAPBC standards and to ensure national evidence-based guidelines and coding principles are used for complete, timely, accurate and consistent abstractions and to preserve data integrity
- Responsible for monitoring process workflows and employee productivity. Identifies opportunities to improve processes and training needs.
- Demonstrates a strong working knowledge of all Cancer Registry job duties. Participates in case findings, abstracting, coding of patients and cancer related information, treatment, staging and follow up for all cancer patients seen and/or diagnosed to meet team goals.
- Collaborates with the Manager to flex and coordinate staffing, work schedule, and workflow for optimal utilization and productivity. Works with Manager to ensure sufficient staffing to meet departmental needs. Assists in hiring process and orientation of new coworkers to ensure all registry requirements are met.
- Leads and participates in departmental team meetings, committees and/or tasks force(s) as required
- Assists Manager to develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures for the cancer registry. Assists in the development and implementation of changes to Cancer Registry policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and accreditation changes
- Assists Manager to ensure timely reporting of cancer incidence data to NC Central Cancer Registry (NCCCR), RQRS and National Cancer Database
- Acts as liaison for outside organizations and associations like the American Cancer Society, the NC Advisory Committee on Cancer Coordination and Control, the NCCCR and state and national professional organizations.
- Prepares statistical reports; provides data on cancer patient populations as requested. Prepares narrative reports and graphic presentations; designs tables, charts and graphs of tumor registry data for special studies and annual report as requested. Assists with CoC Special Studies as assigned.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as Cancer Registrar in a comprehensive community cancer program. Experience with ACoS Commission on Cancer and NAPBC accreditation standards.
- Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) in Life Science, or related field from a four-year college or university required.
- Certified Tumor Registrar required (CTR)